Plastic is no said to be one the killer of nature, made by man. With every passing second, the plastic litter is destroying the life we know and doing unrecoverable damage to our environment. Considering the havocs of plastic now countries and industries are switching rapidly towards environment-friendly materials. The wide use of plastic is for packaging purposes but now safer and cheaper alternates have been developed like corn starch.
The corn starch is the ideal alternate of plastic because they are cheaper and abundantly available. Cornstarch is made of Polylactic Acid (PLA). PLA is made from fermented sugar, usually extracted from cornstarch
Benefits of Cornstarch Bags
- The wide shift from plastic to cornstarch made it possible because of the abundant supply of corn. Corn is one of the most produced food items in the world. This supply of corn gives an easy supply of cornstarch which if used to make PLA. As plastic is made from petroleum-synthetic material, the prices of petroleum will be increasing in the future because of the scarcity of oil. But the production of corn is on the increase as it also important food items and excess can be used for PLA or in other Bio-Fuels
- The basic advantage of using natural material for packaging especially in case of food packaging because the synthetic material has limitations under different circumstances and they can spoil the food items packed in them due to high heat or pressure. But in the case of PLA packaging, the packaging will never spoil the food packed in it and will not have any adverse effect on food quality
- The cornstarch bags have low inflammability. So it will be ideal for packaging and storage because the presence of starch resists the fire. Whereas in terms of plastic, it is highly flammable and disposes of harmful gases
- The cornstarch bags provide the same level of printing applications on them. So, they are used especially by organizations to promote green environment campaigns. Also, they used these bags to show organization affiliations for a clean environment
- The cornstarch bags from Albury Enviro Bags are compostable and biodegradable. If properly disposed off, the cornstarch bags can be properly decomposed within three months. But in case of improper disposal, it can take longer but with comparison to plastic’s decomposition, the time can extend up to 12 months. Whereas plastic takes more than 100 years for the same
- The production and recycling of corn starch bags take three times fewer resources in terms of production, from plastic. So it also economical to produce these bags instead of plastic bags. Due to less energy and water consumption in the production process of these bags, the cornstarch bags are environment-friendly even before they are produced
So, this is the high time that we all should behave as responsible for the health of our earth and nature. This can be started by shifting form plastic bags to environment-friendly materials e.g. cornstarch bags, hem bags. By this, we will help to reduce the damage to nature by a small shift of habits.